The cost of being on-line

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jun 24 17:03:01 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Martin Naef <mnaef at navisto.ch> wrote:

> That still leaves plenty of space for de-centralized production. But you
> might quickly find that your roof isn't large enough for the energy you
> consume.

This is a topic I actually have some inside information on.  My cousin
works in solar research, specifically on the energy density problem
(how much you can generate from how much surface area and at what cost
per watt).  We are getting closer.  They have methods that can get us
to the density we need and the efficiency of conversion we need,
however the manufacturing process doesnt yet scale.  That problem
isn't trivial, but there is a lot of resources going into it right
now, and if Nuclear goes away, a lot more resources could be put into
solar/wind than is currently.

Tony