The cost of being on-line

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jun 24 08:36:41 CEST 2011

On 24.06.2011 07:31, Peter Korsten wrote:
> Since there are quite a few environmentally conscious people on this
> list, who also use the modern internet-based tools at our disposal, the
> following link is food for thought:

It is slightly ironic that this information is spread by means of
streamed, digital video - which is exactly the sample they used to make
a point... ;-)

But joking aside, this is a very real and serious issue. I've recently
overheard that IT infrastructure today is responsible for about 10% of
the electricity usage. If this figure is correct - and I wouldn't be
surprised - this is quite impressive. I've just recently learned that
the latest upgrade at the Swiss Supercomputing Center in Manno wasn't
limited by how much hardware they could afford, but by the yearly cost
of electricity...

With the trend going towards light-weight mobile devices that are
incredibly power-efficient, it so easy to forget the big fat data
centers required to actually run them.

Martin