RAID / NAS

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jun 12 10:29:15 CEST 2011

Hi Jay

On 11.06.2011 5:59, Jay Vaughan wrote:
>> Given the higher performance and the improved software
>> compatibility, that means I'm looking at an Atom based system. I
>> also value my time quite highly, and I do NOT enjoy system
>> administration - meaning I'm buying something off-the-shelf even if
>> I could save some bucks by going the DIY route...
>
> DIY could be as simple as "find out what someone else did, download
> their image, and boot it", though .. not so much "system
> administration" as you might think.  Just 'setup time'.

Looks like FreeNAS would get me quite close to that. Alternatively, I
have access to Windows Home Server licenses, so I could give that a shot
as well. But then I'm still missing some of the goodies that the
commercial NAS offer. This is where the time would be going, not the
initial install.

> Nevertheless seems you've got the solution .. interesting that you're
> going to have a big fat RAID for that .. I guess its family memories
> kind of stuff?

A big chunk is my photo archive that is ever growing, then there's some
video as well. At the moment I've got about 1.5TB of data, plus backup
images. Admittedly, that's a good deal away from the 6TB of the NAS I'm
looking at, but I don't want to exceed the data capacity of the NAS
before its EOL. That would be a probability with a two-drive solution.

Martin