RAID

Joost Schuttelaar EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jun 12 01:42:31 CEST 2011

Yeah. If I'm correct there is a big difference between hardware RAID and hardware RAID... most hardware RAID devices are just a tiny controller with a bit of firmware and let the CPU handle things. The only advantage hardware RAID *can* have, is that the OS can do an operation such as "copy blocks x...y to z" and let the controller handle it (often using DMA). With software RAID and soft hardware RAID the CPU will have to access blocks manually.

Uh... I just read about the Intel one at (http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/matrixstorage_sb.htm) and it looks like it does DMA and fancy things like native command queuing... my info is dated :)

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL