A wireless solution for your average MIDI studio ..

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jul 15 20:22:49 CEST 2011

> We just played a festival show a month ago with 25 artists.  Not a
> single one was using iPad/iPhone on stage.  All of them had laptops.
> Some of them had multiple laptops (we had three).

I don't doubt that this is the scene now, but the fact that so many people are doing it means that there is going to be, some time from now, a change from it when it becomes 'normal' ..

> I can't say how things are in Europe or the rest of the world, but I
> have seen little sign that the laptop is in an kind of decline.  I
> would argue, in fact, that it has finally reached maturity and trust
> for stage use.

Still, its a lot of cables and a lot of gear.  If I can bring an Indigo2 and my iPad on stage, and all I have to get from the stage guy is power and house audio, no power bricks, no 'sound cards', no spaghetti whatever; this is a competitive edge against all the laptop musicians.

> I am not trying to kill your idea in any way.  Just playing a bit of
> devils advocate.

I absolutely anticipated the value of this discourse, or else I wouldn't have suggested we plunge into the subject!  I do not take any of this personally because I think you guys would be interested, personally, either way.

> One area that you may also look into is for media/lighting control
> applications.  That is an area that I am trying to figure out how to
> approach right now, and an iPad/iPhone that could help me control
> visuals would be awesome.

Well, mini-LCD projectors are the huge rage, having a fleet of projectors you can point at walls and wirelessly stream to from some master device is already very feasible.

;
--
Jay Vaughan