A wireless solution for your average MIDI studio ..

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jul 15 15:15:17 CEST 2011

> Not 100% sure I see the full picture. A wireless controller (e.g. iPad)
> certainly sounds like a convenient thing to have. Wireless connection to
> the synths, however, is relatively pointless unless it also includes
> audio streaming and the devices can run off batteries.

The devices do run on batteries, and last about 2 years with fairly active, heavy use .. this is the advantage of ANT+ over Bluetooth, in fact.

> It's not really the equipment rack that I would target with such a
> solution, but rather the potentially mobile things: Controllers, foot
> pedals, guitars, etc. People tend to trip over cables on stage while
> playing, or they feel tethered. If your solution can make a device
> totally independent, then you've got a product - otherwise it's just an
> incremental improvement that I wouldn't spend money on.

Yes the idea would be to totally eradicate MIDI cabling, and we can do this (we also have repeaters and bridges already working very well, so this would beef up the security aspect as well).

> You might want to take a look into the art installation scene. They do
> quite a bit with wireless sensors that drive projections and audio,
> often based on Max or PD. There are already some wireless kits on the
> market for such things, but I could imagine that one can improve upon them.

We're using our wireless tech in glider flight training schools to teach students not to oversteer and so on .. ;)

;
--
Jay Vaughan