Tony, Andromeda?

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jul 14 15:16:23 CEST 2011

Well, I sold the Andromeda mainly because I got an offer on it I
couldn't refuse (at the time..if I'd held on to it, they have
appreciated quite a bit since being discontinued) and because it had
some problems with the keybed that were going to be expensive to fix (
a few keys had gone funny, all producing velocity 127 every time I hit
a key, no matter how lightly).  I also was more into the sound of my
PEK than the Andromeda, which was very VERY touchy to program.

In all honesty, I regretted selling it.  I 'replaced' it with a Virus
TI, but I never really got along with that one. I couldn't get the
integration to work at all, and it sounded light compared to the Virus
C I had in the past.  I eventually got rid of the TI when I got NI
Massive, which in my opinion covers anything a Virus could do.

If you want my opinion of the Andromeda, I think it was a great synth
the likes of which I don't think we will ever see again.  It took a
lot of skill and work to program it, but when you hit its sweet spot
(which was rather narrow) It absolutely screamed.  It's hardware was,
unfortunately, plagued by problems and certain production runs had
notorious tuning issues (though there is some belief that this was
user error or incorrect global settings).  I never had any of these
issues with mine.

If I ever come across one at a less than astronomical price, I may buy
it again.  There aren't many 8 voice polyphonic analogs that were ever
built, and if you look at its comparables it is the clear winner in my
opinion (JoMoX sunsyn is known to be buggy as hell, Studio Electronics
Omega 8 is poorly built and very vanilla sounding).

Tony