SSD in Macbook Pro

Joost Schuttelaar EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jul 11 22:05:27 CEST 2011

Hey -bar,

So I finally got myself an SSD for my MBP i7. It's great! Decided upon the Intel 320 series (160GB). The 510 and OCZ Vertex 3 are a bit faster, but:

* You need SATA 3 to really notice the speed difference
* Intel supposedly is a bit more reliable than OCZ

Removed the optical drive, and kept the original 500GB drive in a 5.99$ Optibay clone from Ebay. Shitty quality, had to tear off a piece of plastic and put some electrical tape around it again as padding but it works well.

So now the machine has 160GB of fast drive space for the OS, applications, virtual machines and often accessed data (basically my user folder, especially e-mails) and 500GB of slower drive space for things like music and pictures. The thing screams. Much bigger difference than the switch from my old Core2Duo MBP to this one...

Anyone else on a SSD?

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL