Admin user

diode EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jul 1 02:40:26 CEST 2011

Le 30 juin 2011 à 23:38, Peter Korsten a écrit :

> Pretty much the same thing if you ask me, although it could be that
> Apple have added some extra layer.

Just to clear things up…

(as I work all the time as admin, yes I like to live dangerously…)

Yes there is an added layer.

Root is not enable on OS X (you can, but it's down to obscure unix server business reasons if you really need to, I think only OS X server admins can have a thrill at messing with this… if they screwed something… or developers, but you know, they are not like the rest of us)

You can have besides Root: admins and users. (all right, nothing new)

Admins have the administrator privileges, but are not root. And are still required to enter their PW (or any admin PW) to install software or move some files. In fact, it's as if Admins and users have to sudo things (the important ones) all the time. The big difference on the user side is that if you're admin, the login that shows up when you need to type a PW is yours.

Users are just bloody stoopid users, they are here to be brain-eaten by zombies. (yeah)

There was a time not far ago, in order to run some heavy duty software like DAWs with plugins on OSX, it was a good idea to do so in Admin, and not user, because it really worked better… Thanks to some developers who did not put files in the right places first hand…

As far as security is concerned, there's an hypothetical issue, it's not been one real for years. As anyway your PW is not in clear, and you can't access it without itself, or by fucking up things with the install DVD (but then: you must have physical access and you lose the pw database if you don't have the original PW to enter again in the keyring once you changed it thru the DVD). It's BAAAAAd but not a disaster to work as admin.

Now, each time I install a mac for someone, I make the person the lesson, and log him as user. And I will move to user myself soon, as the threats are rising even if they are really based on the keyboard chair interface and not viruses per se. As we reach 10% of the market (and in some places of California a computer on 3 is a mac…) it'll be more and more interesting to fuck up our mac user life with some nasty stuff. And developers have finally done their homework…

Denis H]
No LOPPSI!
No HADOPI!
No ACTA!