New mlrv

Jonny Stutters EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jan 31 11:13:19 CET 2011

On 30 Jan 2011, at 18:41, Andrew Tarpinian wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2011, at 5:44 AM, Jonny Stutters wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, with nonome but I don't know if that was the problem.  I just couldn't seem to get it behave itself so I packed it in pretty quickly.  I should probably give it another look or buy an actual monome.
>
> I just tried it out again yesterday with nonome and it worked, but the lights were not responding for some reason and it was triggering slices strangely. In general even when working properly it does not work as well as a monome, but I'm thinking of using it as a second device just for simply triggering loops not really "playing them." In the new version of mlrv it looks like it may have native support so maybe better.

I wonder if it's something to do with the data rate.  Based on my own programming for the launchpad you really have to watch how much you send it because you're only communicating at 31250 baud compared to the monome which is 115200 baud and can manage to update the display much more frequently.  You can do tricks with the monome like bulk updating the entire grid but that gets to be a lot more work than just doing a message for every button change.  Anyway, like you said, the new mlrv gives the impression that it'll natively support the launchpad, find out on Tuesday I guess.

> yea originally I wanted the 128 but the 256 really grabbed a hold of me when thinking about sequencing, especially in Stretta's m4l suite of apps. The 64 is great for a lot of things but it's limitations come in when you really want full access when working with 16 beat loops in mlrv, it's workable but not ideal.

Exactly.  I've discovered I really like grid controllers but you do come to realise that 8x8 requires some kludging to pull of a lot of ideas that would be easy on a 16x16.

> Right now I am working on something using the monome64 with Press Cafe routed into Live (left hand), the Manta playing bass (right hand) and some drums. The trick is I'm having trouble dealing with the drums, I'm out of hands to trigger them :) I guess I need to look into a foot controller.

Sounds like a show :).

Jonny