Gain structure and mixing; or how to make your mixdowns sound fantastic!

Dave S EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jan 19 19:18:36 CET 2011

On 19/01/11 16:12, Tony Hardie-Bick wrote:
> Dave's link provides way more precise information if you're wondering how to
> proceed with the mix that's sitting there right in front of your eyes.
> Here it is again: http://tinyurl.com/gainstructure

Oh yeah, sure, the Bob Katz book is pretty heavyweight, and contains
more knowledge than you can shake a stick at!

I've only been dipping into it and reading lots of sections here and
there, with the occasional whole chapter, but I'm finding it very
interesting reading.  It sort of compliments my knowledge in one field
with some knowledge from the field next door.  :-)

So although I will probably never be a mastering engineer, it's really
useful to understand more about that part of the process.  I also think
that stuff like "changing anything affects everything" is really useful
to bear in mind when approaching a mix.

Or at least, bearing such things in mind seems to be having good results
for me currently, by focussing my attention on the process and the details.

That Roey Izhaki book looks good too - I'll probably pick it up sometime.

Once my album is finished, I may well put together summarised version of
the Dubstep Forum thread, to try and collect the main useful points for
easier reading.  (For myself as much as anything!)

Glad you found it useful anyway!

Cheers,

~Dave