mouse and keyboard PC/OSX question

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jan 14 18:21:40 CET 2011

Op 14-1-2011 14:07, Gert van Santen schreef:

> Just got mij new mouse, which works great.

Razer? :)

> But now I feel how old and noisy my keyboard is. Since I like the
> Apple keyboards, and since it is possible to use them on a PC;
> does any of you have any experience using external Apple
> keyboards on a PC? Do you like it?

Like Martin said, shop around. Basically, there are three kinds of
keyboard technologies:
* membrane
* scissor-switch (strictly speaking, a special kind of membrane)
* mechanical

Most keyboards are of the membrane type. Quality varies between the kind
that I wouldn't even let my cat shit on (and which unfortunately gets
delivered with the majority of PCs) and quite good.

Scissor-switch is the type that you find on laptops. I love this kind,
and in fact I got two Cherry Evolution Stream keyboards, one for home
and one for work. They're full-size keyboards, cost less than €25, and
are excellent value for money.

Finally, there's the mechanical type. Here, you have a separate switch
in each and every key. They're the best system and, obviously, also the
most expensive. The switches come in different types, depending on the
typist's preference.

All in all, though, it's probably best to have a look around and get
either a good quality membrane keyboard, or a scissor-switch type. The
lighted keyboard that Martin mentioned, for example, is a scissor-switch
type.

- Peter