worst gig of my life

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Feb 20 23:02:11 CET 2011

On Feb 20, 2011, at 1:50 PM, Tony Scharf wrote:

> Well, I did have my Yamaha DTX Multi 12 on stage.  I use it on a
> couple tracks to add in some extra drum his and just cause some songs
> have too many keyboards in them already...but I ended up playing drums
> full time for more than half the set, which is much more than I am
> used to or was prepared for.  In almost 20 years of playing live, this
> is the first time I had a hardware synth fail on stage.
>
> Apparently, I was the only one who really noticed.  As far as the
> audience and the other band members were concerned, it was one of our
> best gigs.

I read an interview a while ago, might have been Paul Oakenfold, he was saying he used to have keyboards and such that he would play along with his DJ sets and he came to the conclusion that the audience did not really appreciate or notice it so he stopped doing it. Superstar DJ stigma aside, it's the norm that an audience usually has no idea what is going on on stage when it comes to electronic music.

Though we are not talking about laptop performances, this is an older but interesting article about live performance and electronic music. There is a section about the importance of having backup solutions when things go bad.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/07/take-it-to-the-stage-reflections-on-live-laptop-music-from-artists/