joining the modular club

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Dec 28 17:25:42 CET 2011

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Andrew Tarpinian <evildead at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> I would join that club but it seems that as soon as you do, you are already thinking about what to add next :) I don't think this would be very good for me or my wallet right now :)

For some people, there is definitely a revolving door mentality, and I
have tried to avoid that.  Sequencing was that way for me, but I think
I am finally settling.   Last year after I got my modular, I went
through one period of revision, and then pretty much stayed stable
through now.  Now I am filling both cases up, and then that is that
until I want to make some large investment again.

When you play keyboards, or most instruments, a lot of things are tied
to the moment of interaction with the interface.  You press a key, and
pitch, volume, and timbrel properties are set (for the most part).
Sequencing with the modular, this is not the case as you can create
compositions within patches that trigger or glide between properties.
Having multiple clocks running at different rates with causing change
on different and unrelated timescales becomes very easily
accomplished.  For me, it has finally liberated me from the
bar-beat-clock way way of thinking that has pretty much dominated my
composition for my entire life.  I still bring in elements of that,
but I don't feel compelled to do so.

> And I just got a violin, so I think that will be enough analog for now...

Good luck with that one!

Tony