For tomorrow: Happy Birthday...

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Dec 11 13:27:19 CET 2011

On 11/12/2011 15:22, cyrille.damez at laposte.net wrote:
> Yes, musical gear even, though it's not for listening to my music. I replaced my turntable and its cartridge with higher end ones (used, I definitely cannot afford the kind of prices those things go for new).
> However, I have an annoying problem to solve now. As the moving coil cartdridge has a very low output, I have to preamplify the thing, and now the cables seem to pick up a lot of noise I couldn't hear before from the mobile phone relay antennas just above my roof :(

Instead of Faraday shielding, might I suggest an axe for multiple other
reasons also? ;)

Is your preamp specifically for MC and not MM?
The MC preamps are designed for higher amplification as well as having
different load/capacitance on the input. I'm daft to presume you don't
know this, after all, you've bought the gear :)
Ground loop? Bad, or non-existent grounding in the TT?
Simple fact is, a lot of the 'good' gear was designed for a world before
these high powered, high frequency air waves, so replacing the
interconnects from the TT with good shielded cables and adding some
simple shielding inside the TT and preamp may be the only option that
will make any difference.

These might help, might not:

http://www.rolls.com/pdf/DS_VP130.pdf
http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/phonopreampstage.htm

Mobile phones are shat for this. With a lot of audio gear, you can tell
when one is going to ring seconds before it does and no minor tweaking
will completely remove this "precognitive superpower".

Oh, and HBD :)