Chaining DAT Recorders

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Apr 23 16:56:10 CEST 2011

On 23/04/11 11:46, Larry Pham wrote:
>  From the days I heard music played from DAT, I have always loved the sound.
> Warm, clean and that je ne sais quoi quality about it. I later learned about
> AD/DA converters and that was what gave the DAT its "sound". Now that DAT
> recorders are a dime a dozen, I've managed to score 2 Panasonic SV-4100 and a
> Tascam DA30MKII. I would like to experiment chaining them together to pass a
> signal through the AD/DA converters using the spdif and analog inputs. Before I
> go rush out to buy more spdif cables, I'm wondering if there would be any
> benefit by doing this? Will I get a super fat coloured and saturated sound or
> will I just add more noise and end up with crap?? Any opinions?

Hi Larry

Yeah - early "pro" ADDA was really crap, hence the "sound", but there are so
many variants on conversion. I think generally the terms fat, coloured,
saturated, are not associated with these conversion systems.

By contrast, analogue distortion, whether it be from a filter in a synth, or
more subtly from the endless signal paths in a Soundcraft mixing desk, tended to
add something musical, even if it was unintended.

Tony (HB)