Teenage Engineering OP-1

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Apr 23 16:34:08 CEST 2011

On Apr 23, 2011, at 5:40 AM, ibi sum <ibisum at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-04-23 at 03:25 -0400, Andrew Tarpinian wrote:
>> day one mess around - two patterns recorded to tape and then mucked
>> about with while recording to the internal "album" recorder.
>> http://soundcloud.com/modulargrey/op1rec_side_a
>

>> From where come the drums?

From the OP-1, it's one of the factory kits in the drum sampler. Basically you have 8 slots, each  has a 12 sec sample of drum sounds, then each hit from the sample is mapped to a key. These are user replaceable, you could put 12 secs of audio of anything, though the drum sampler is made for shorter type samples, plus there is the regular sampler also. Say you want an 808 kit, just put together a 12 sec audio clip full of hits and then you can map each hit to each key with the auto map and/or adjust with the sample editor screen.

> For my ears, the OP-1 sounds very "CZ100'ish" .. am I just projecting
> that on it because I think it looks like a Casio, though?

Sure, in short my time mucking about the sound engines do seem to definitely lean towards wavy digital than say moogy analog, just look at the engine names and descriptions:

Dr Wave – Raw 8-bit yupe sound engine
FM – Easy to tweak FM synthesis engine
Pulse – Square wave type engine
String – Physical modeling with a twist
Digital – Raw digital type of engine
Phase – Phase distortion engine
Cluster – Multiple Wave Cluster
But still have much more to explore, while the editing of the synths is simplified, the tweekablitly is not cut and dry, most the time I felt like I was exploring not programming.

> Are you doing the slow/speed pitch changes with the internal recorder or
> was that done somewhere else?

All in the op-1. Basically you record everything to a 4 track reel to reel tape emulation. So I recorded two 4 track loops on the tape, they I hit play - muted and un-muted tracks, jumped between the two loop sections, hit "tape trick" buttons like cut tape, reverse, ff, rr, used the two memory recall buttons to recall different eq setting, manually messed with the tape speed, etc... Obviously I went overboard with the tape effects, you kind of just have to the first go :)

Then there is an internal "album" recorder, you get a side a and a side b. Just hit record, play your performance, hook up usb, and pull the aif to your desktop.

More thoughts and video to come at some point.