Your favorite delay?

K9 Kai Niggemann EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Apr 8 09:44:18 CEST 2011

On 07.04.2011, at 23:45, Peter Korsten wrote:

> Op 7-4-2011 13:13, K9 Kai Niggemann schreef:
>
>> Really? Nothing beats Deutsche Bahn (German Rail), when it comes to those kind of delays...
>
> Once, we travelled by train from Heerlen (the Netherlands) to Cologne
> (Köln), change trains in Aachen.
>
> On the way back, our train was so much delayed, that we'd surely missed
> the connecting train back to the Netherlands, if it weren't for the fact
> that that one was delayed as well.

The good thing is that now at least you get your money back. or 50% anyway, if you are more than an hour late on arrival (!)

> In fact, the only train of the four that left on time was the one from
> Heerlen to Aachen, and the engineer was Dutch.
>
> For some reason, people think that because Germans make good-quality
> stuff, their trains run on time as well. This is not the case. The
> Baureihe 120 locomotive is a milestone, and a testament to what good,

you know too much about locomotives! ;)

> solid engineering can accomplish - but they cannot make it run on time.
>
> But I have to deny your claim: the most delayed public transport in
> Europe is the bus system in Malta. Once, I waited for at least an hour
> for a bus that is supposed to run every 10 or 15 minutes. This was
> during rush hour in the morning.

I also remember hearing amazing stories about the rail system in Italy. In Germany train schedules are posted with times like: "arrival 10:02, departure 10.05" -- in Italy this is the just called "the 9:30 train" (in Germany it usually ends up being the 10:20 train, with some exceptions in both directions...)

> Now, Arriva is taking over in July, and everything is supposed to be
> perfect after that.

Arriva? sounds like they are nuclear powered busses? oh, sorry thinking of Areva here..;-)

But I guess they arrive, eventually. or that's what the name should imply?

;)

Kai