Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Apr 5 20:52:12 CEST 2011

Crap...this has been in my drafts folder.  Thought I sent it days ago..

here goes..

Ok...now I am in a better state of mind to put up a full post about this...

Last night I went to the muffwiggler/Trash Audio Synth Event hosted by
Xart at his studio down town.  This was kind of a 'micro NAMM' setup
by Surachai, Xart, and Justin from Trash_Audio.  A good number of
modular synthe manufacturers were there showing off stuff, and there
was (obviously) beer made very readily available.  I got to have some
good discussions with Tony from MakeNoise Music (the phonogene module
is going to kill), caught up with Eric from STG Sound Labs, and got to
catch up with my friend Scott who is the guy behind The Harvestman
modules.

At one point I was talking synths with Nial (remember him?) and he
mentioned that "Alessandro has an OP1..you have to see this".  I had
know idea who he meant by Alessandro, but I wanted to check out the
OP1 so I followed.  It wasnt until he mentioned not to hit certain
buttons on it, because it was all setup for his performance tonight
that I realized it was him (He and Richard Divine are doing a private
performance at Xart's studio tonight).

Anyway, about the OP1.

Its fucking awesome.  The best way to describe it, is as a
'professional toy'.  Its built like a tank, despite its toy looks, and
all the function so far implemented show a creative and very playful
take on the usual tools.  I particularly like its take on sampling,
which they implement by actually modelling a reel to reel tape deck.

The most interesting thing was its sequencer, however.  This is very
hard to describe without being able to show it to you, but Ill try..

Imagine a hexagon.  Now start that hexagon rotating.  Every time you
press a key, a ball drops from the center of the hexagon and falls.
When it hits the side, it bounces and deflects and makes a sound.  As
it continues to bounce around, it continues to make sound.  You can
keep adding balls to add more and more complexity.  Another control
will open rotate the sides of the hexagon so that it is no longer
closed (forms the shape of pinwheel) allowing balls to escape from the
shape.  Its pretty wild.

Unfortunately, the device is still in beta form, so the software
doesnt let you do things like backup you tracks to a computer or allow
any kind of MIDI control (thats in the works).  I really didnt care
about the OP1 till I got to play it, and now I really think it would
be a great instrument to stuff in a back pack or take on a plane.

Alessandro was saying that they should be shipping more soon, as they
met with some manufacturing delays.  As these things get around, I
think they are going to become very hard to get your hands on if you
do not preorder.