oto biscuit

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Apr 5 18:16:00 CEST 2011

On 05/04/11 16:27, Andrew Tarpinian wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2011, at 11:12 AM, Tony Scharf<noisetheorem at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:08 AM, komatos<komatos at comcast.net>  wrote:
>>> 442.30 British Pounds ($719.50). For an effects box? Interesting. But not
>>> at that price.
>>>

>> Exactly how I feel.  Yeah, it looks really nice, but I cant justify that
>> for something I could do in other ways easily.  Bit crushing/SRR is not
>> rocket science.
>
> You can get it in the US for 600 which is a little better. To me most bit
> crushing plugins sound flat and boring. Listing to those videos though kinda
> blew me away, this seems like more than a bit crusher, the combo of the
> harmonics with a very nice sounding analog filter just seem to make the
> simple material that was fed into it come alive. In this case analog seems to
> make a big difference in quality.

Bit crushing isn't simply crushing bits, even though it is exactly that in the
digital domain.

Reducing bit count carelessly and chucking it at a "true 8 bit converter" (LOL!)
will sound completely different (much more complex) from doing the same, and
chucking the neatly truncated words into a carefully rendered sample stream from
a studio quality D/A converter.

True 8-bit grunge with a distorting analogue filter is an unusual combination.

Tony (HB)