Time for some changes

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Sep 23 17:51:34 CEST 2010

> I think each of us develops the skill which most easily gets us moving.
> Often this appears to be "because of natural talent" etc etc, whereas I've
> met very few people who have less than at least three different natural
talents,
> even though only one (if that!) is actually developed. So, if you could
> start from scratch, then, what has the world to offer?

I think both of these observations are incredibly insightful.  If you stop
to think about it, it really is amazing the number of things we don't do or
attempt because we *think* we probably cannot do them as opposed to knowing
we cannot.  I'm fortunate that I was raised in an environment that taught
"if you think you can do something, you probably can."  This does mean
however that at times you are wrong.  This has at times put me in a
difficult spot but it also has taught me that 9 times out 10 when I leap
across empty space, I land on something.  You get over the fear of falling.

While I am dreading being apart from my wife and son for 6 months coming up,
I'm also looking forward to the disorientation it will bring.  I think
particularly as we get older, and understand life a little more, there are
fewer surprises.  We know how bureaucracy works, relations with others
generally, etc.  For me to move to such an alien country is really going to
undermine my understanding of how things "work" on a basic level.  I'll be
40 here in a couple of months and I suspect this is about the last chance I
have to experience this sort of disorientation and I am really looking
forward to it.  "Starting from scratch" as it were - again.

James R. Coplin