The question of questions

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Oct 18 22:59:14 CEST 2010

Op 18-10-2010 22:14, Andrew Tarpinian schreef:
> Check out this post, it's refreshing.
> http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=72222
>
> Basically in this day and age if you are releasing tracks
> yourself there is no need for "mastering" in the traditional
> sense. Basically make a really good mix and then make it a bit
> louder.

Basically, I agree with that, and with the guy who wrote that
post (see link above).

After years of reading everything about mastering, doing loads of
tutorials including test tracks (e.g. Waves), mastering hundreds
of songs and leaders and clips and demos, and getting at least 30
of my own tracks mastered by professional mastering houses (I was
always there to "assist" the mastering engineer), I have come to
the conclusion that, in this day and age, and with the technology
we have now, getting your masters done by a pro is highly
overrated. You can just as well do it yourself. You DO need good
ears, though.

My tips:

1. Make the best mix you can and A/B with one of your favourite
commercial tracks. Tweak until you're happy.
2. Master with a bit of Multiband compression,some EQ (if needed)
and use a limiter as the last stage. Don't forget to A/B!

3. That's it.

If you don't believe me, send me one of your unmastered tracks. I
will master it in 5-10 minutes. You might not get the refinement
of a Bob Katz master, but no-one will care or even hear that. You
will be able to put your track on line, and the only criticism
you will get is on the song itself, or on the mix - not on the
mastering or the loudness or the EQ.

Do remember, though, that fixing a terrible mix is next to
impossible. And to be honest; mastering for clubs can be sort of
tricky because of the high volumes involved. You don't want to
hurt the ears of the audience.

:-)