The Clash

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Oct 13 15:43:17 CEST 2010

Kai,

On 12.10.2010 19:12, K9 Kai Niggemann wrote:
>> Now that the economy is worsening, people are scared about loosing
>> their way of life. That includes economic aspects, but also
>> cultural things. For a long time, those fears were oppressed
>> instead of addressed.
>
> I think we lose more of your culture when you accept McDonald's as a
> legitimate food source than worrying about muslims moving into your
> country.

That's exactly what I mean with not taking the fears seriously. You just
dismiss the fears by pointing them to something completely unrelated.

Let's take another example: The traditional Christmas period in School.
Kids singing the carols, the play. Undoubtedly, that's part of what we
consider "culture". Does this still make sense when half the pupils in a
class are muslims? Unlikely.

So taken that example: If you want to address people's fear, you first
have to convince them that separating religion from education is a good
thing. Only then can you show that Muslims coming into the country are
of no harm to the education system.

I don't want to discuss this particular example or anything related to
religion. But it's clear that something like that is very emotional, and
it *does* change the culture we live in.

Do you want to be taken seriously when you speak up against fascism?
Then you should start taking those seriously who you want to convert.

Martin