Hang

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Nov 22 21:59:20 CET 2010

OK, I'll bite and be the bad guy.  Am I the only one who questions the
actual utility of this instrument?  I'll readily admit it has a wonderful
tone.  I can see spending a bunch of time messing around with one if I had
it.  However, I couldn't see me making much music with it.  I have to say I
would be bored to tears if I went to concert and this thing came out.  The
first piece I would probably love, the second would hold my interest but I'd
be done after that.  I would be looking at my watch, getting another beer
etc. for the rest of the hour and half.

Despite having a great tone, the dynamics of that same tone are seem very
limited.  Also, only having 8 tones, all in one key, seems really limiting.
I love the sound of a Steinway but if I only had 8 keys to play, I'd quickly
get bored of it too.  This just seems like the ultimate hippy noise toy and
all the mystic ho ha doesn't help either.  I love this idea that instrument
makers somehow aren't engaged in the market.  They always have been.
Stradivarius made instruments for sale.  The Hang is no different.  Make
them, sell them, move on.  The thing isn't going to change the air I
breathe, enhance world peace, make my neighborhood more understanding or
safer.  It is going to go "PING!!!!!" pleasantly when I hit it and that's
it.  There is no way I can see begging to have one of these created for you,
waiting two years, and then shelling out 1500 euros or whatever these things
cost when and if your name comes up.

Those of you with the sample library, how is it?

James R. Coplin