Octatrack

Andrew Robinson EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Nov 22 17:46:50 CET 2010

On 22 November 2010 14:27, K9 Kai Niggemann <canine at waf80.de> wrote:
> That being said, I also think that 8 tracks are not enough. I often work with:
>
> 1 kick
> 2 snare
> 3 hihats and cymbals
> 4 percussion
> 5 bass
> 6 voice
> 7 synth
> 8 synth2
>
> add some effects to that (a reverb and dub delay return for example) and you are already at ten tracks...

Maybe I'm overdoing it then? The track I'm doodling around with at the mo has...

1. Chords
2. Other Chords
3. Drumloop 1 (submix of about 10 tracks)
4. Drumloop 2 (submix of about 7 tracks)
5. Bass
6. Percussive crunches
7. Tune
8. Kick
9. Zaps
10. Crunchy Treatments 1
11. Crunchy Treatments 2
12. Sub-bass
13. reverse thinky
14. Backwards break
15. Shaker
16. Reverse Drums
17. Tape Delay Bits
18. No idea what this was, but it's all been deleted
19. Woofley ambience
20. Ambient FX
21. More Ambient FX
22. Misc overdubs
23. Pitch Shifted ambience
24. Drumloop 3
25. Wind noises
26. bouncedown of all the above for reverb fx

...and I'm just about to start adding percussive tweaks and additions.

Then again, I have an odd tendency to avoid mix automation like the
plague, so I'l often have tracks set up with lots of effects and just
drop sounds into them occasionally when I think he mix needs another
element. Track 23, for example only has about 0.5 seconds of audio
during the whole 7 minute track.

- Andy_R