DSLRs...

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Nov 10 18:29:07 CET 2010

I have the T2i which is the same camera. It's really the best you can buy for the price if you want really good video also. I got the kit lens and it's worth it if you are on a budget, it's nice to have an inexpensive general lens hanging around, even though it's not amazing it still gives you nice pictures. I was going to get the 50 1.4 but got the 50 1.8 instead, it's really a gorgeous lens for $99, yes build quality is not amazing and the auto focus can be a bit slow and noisy (I mostly use it manual anyway) but man it takes such beauty shots. And like Martin says, keep in mind if you are indoors, depending on how much room you are working with, it can be tight if you want to fit a lot in the frame. That's why the price of the 1.8 is perfect because you wont spend a ton of money and can pick up a 35 at some point. The camera can be a little noisy in low light (but normal for it's price range I think,) and especially when shooting video you may not realize it by looking at the LCD (it tends to make everything look gorgeous), so just watch out for that.

I shot 1080 video of a recording session the other day for a project I am a part of. I used only the 50 1.8 and got amazing results. Drummer in a booth, bass player, keyboard player, guitar. Very nice close up instrument/player beauty shots, racking the focus etc... I got chills how well this camera does video. I did wind up with a red pixel(s) spot on some of my footage though, I saw it on the LCD when shooting but figured it was a stuck pixel on the LCD, but it was actually on the sensor, luckily an automatic sensor clean fixed the problem later on.