DSLRs...

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Nov 10 14:58:33 CET 2010

Op 10-11-2010 14:42, Chris Strellis schreef:
> ..well another common factor for us 'barians seems to be photography :)
>
> I'm in the market for a DSLR which I intend to use for astrophotography as well.  I definitely want a Canon and I'm kind of settle on a 550D which in body only form is in my budget.
>
> A friend of mine has a Canon 5D MK2 and is taking stunning pictures in lots of scenarios:
>
> http://stardustpics.blogspot.com/
>
> I'll be taking family portrait type pictures, landscape, macro close up and wildlife pictures.
>
> Would anyone recommend the stock lens that comes with it, EF-S 18-55mm Zoom Lens, or would two other lenses be better say a Canon EF 50mm f1.8 MK2 and a Tamron 70-300mm.
>
> I'll want a flash as well as the two lenses with an additional budget of say £400 on top of the body price.  Am I asking for too much in my budget?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2c3hof4 looks good although I am confused whether the Tamron lens is included in the price or not!
>
> For astrophotography I'll be using the body only, my 8" 2000mm F/10 telescope will be the lens ;)
>
> Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

550 D is an excellent camera. Does some beautiful vidz too.
The kit lens is sort of rubbish if you want to do serious
photography. It feels cheap, and it reacts and works cheap.
The 50 mm 1.8, or even the 1.4 are awesome lenses, especially for
low light situations.
I don't know the tamron 70-300, and I'm sure it's a fine lens,
but in my opinion you might want to the 18-270, which is very
handy because it includes a real nice wide angle part. But it's a
bit slow (probably 3.5-5.6 or so)
Or check out something like a 2.8/17-55. Better for low light.
Very nice for family stuff, parties, and you also get a bit of tele.