Castor, Radioactivity, Green Energy, Kraftwerk

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Nov 9 23:23:10 CET 2010

>> I'm interested in the low-power computing side of things these days ..
>
> So how are you doing that? My shiny new quad core 3.2 GHz Core i7 must
> be one of the bigger consumers in our house, but given what I use it for
> (mostly games and talking to you guys and other people), getting some
> low power thing doesn't make much sense to me. And the old MB was like
> six years old, so it's not like it didn't go the length.

Ditching Intel/AMD, and going ARM ASAP.  ARM is really the solution to power problems.  Multi-core, multi-ghz ARM systems are on the horizon, but in the meantime I'm getting a lot of real work done on smaller, lighter, cheaper ARM systems like my Touchbook and Pandora right now.  Pandora, for example, is a wonderful development system for my Linux work these days.. I have to admit that I'm using my multi-core AMD box (6x2.5ghz cores, 16gigs of RAM, 1TB disk space) less and less in favour of just ssh'ing to the Pandora and using vim+cscope+make from afar .. I may even sell my workstation soon, to be honest.

> The other big consumers would be the fridge, the dishwasher and the
> washing machine, but at least they're all A-class, even though that
> doesn't say too much. The tumble drier, well, that's another issue, but
> getting your laundry dry in winter is somewhat of a challenge in this
> country.

Yeah, I'm mostly talking about my computing devices, not the real stuff needed to maintain Western standards of living.

;
--
Jay Vaughan