Castor, Radioactivity, Green Energy, Kraftwerk

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Nov 6 18:54:41 CET 2010

Op 6-11-2010 12:22, K9 Kai Niggemann schreef:

> Also I'd like to suggest to all of you to change your power supplier to a green company that makes energy from renewable energies. I have done it one year ago, the price difference was negligible and it's good to know that my synths and computers run on green energy...

Since 0% of electricity comes from renewable sources in this country,
I'll stick with Enemalta for now. They're the only one, anyway.

But seriously, renewable energy is not yet a replacement for neither
conventional nor nuclear power stations. There's a lot of fuss about
electric vehicles now, but the prices are absolutely unrealistic. And
the demand for electricity is ever-increasing, and now everybody needs
to have a non-wired electrical apparatus - be it a car, or an iPad - and
thus ensues the run for rare earth metals. You can already see the
manoeuvring taking place to establish monopolies on those.

Given that your country is still digging holes the size of a town to get
at a fossil fuel that is both inefficient and highly polluting, I think
there are more immediate concerns than storing nuclear waste somewhere
underground.

Nuclear energy has a lot of potential risks, but fossil energy has a lot
of negative impact. You can deal with risks; dealing with global warming
is not nearly as manageable. And renewable energy is simply not there,
and won't be for at least another generation.

In my opinion, we'll be stuck with nuclear power for minimum another two
generations (after which uranium will start to get scarcer as well).

- Peter