Multi-touch cheap as chips...

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri May 21 08:38:45 CEST 2010

Hi Gert

Quoting Gert van Santen <g.vansanten at chello.nl>:
>> Ok, it's a bit more than a bag of chips, but at this price point, I
>> definitely see multi-touch becoming a standard even if its use is a bit
>> limited on a desktop...

> Personally I don't really see the point of having a vertical monitor
> with touch capability. It seems... awkward, and I think I would rather
> use mouse, keyboard, tablet, etc...

It's not as bad as it sounds, and the stand allows some flexibility
how far you can tilt it back. I don't think the current form factor
will exactly stay as it is, but the process has started now and
vendors will come up with new ideas. The key point is: It's cheap. You
don't have to give up something in order to get the touch capability.

At the moment, I just use it as a secondary monitor for my project,
but I do have some ideas like mounting it on the same rack as the
keyboards to control the sequencer and soft-synths without keyboard
and mouse (the latter two are not easily reachable while I'm playing).

> Now an iPad or a tablet computer - that's different IMHO.

Not for me. The stuff I do these days needs serious computing /
graphics power which neither can provide. An iPad at my place would
end up as a sophisticated media player which I don't need, and a
low-end internet browser for which I generally prefer a lot more
screen real-estate. But then, I'm kind of conservative in my attitude
towards gadgets - barely any of them ever kept my interest for more
then half an hour.

Martin