Piccies of 10 string Kantele

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu May 20 15:36:55 CEST 2010

Señor Dong,

>> Yeah - tis a bugger. On the secret instrument that I've done all this on, I had
>> to build a MOSFET switch-on circuit so I could use a standard stereo socket for
>> switching AND stereo out.
>
> Any diagrams? I can't quite figure that out in my current state.

Here's one I prepared earlier:

http://twitpic.com/1pdybu
http://twitpic.com/1pdybu/full (hires)

This has polarity inversion protection (the extra fet on the input). I've drawn
the integral substrate diodes in the fet symbols, cos I keep forgetting about
these, which leads to I-forgot-that-mosfets-have-an-integral-substrate-diode
syndrome.

The socket is the most common switched-type:

http://is.gd/chsR5

> A secret instrument? What is it secreting? ;)

challenges.

> It's nice,  but I just know the 15 string, or larger concert Kantele
> would have been a better project ;)

Wow... that would be incredible :)

> (I really, really wanted to build a medium sized concert harp, or a
> complex autoharp, or even a hurdi-gurdi tweaked my interest, but also
> know these things are a few steps beyond my skills, materials and time
> just now.)

I dunno about harps so much. Yeah - they're great instruments in some ways.
However, they have such a finely focussed identity, I have found it frustrating
on the couple of occasions I've jammed with some (very talented) harpists.

The kantele, OTOH, sounds fresh, unusual and maybe noone stuck piezos on it b4 ;)

Tony (HB)