british elections

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri May 7 19:30:56 CEST 2010

Op 7-5-2010 17:11, The Dong schreef:

> Peter Korsten wrote:
>>
>> You consider 30k+ a very good wage? Oh. :)
>
> When I say 30k+, I mean much more than �30,000 per annum.
> I do consider �30,000+ after tax per annum a good wage, yes.

Ah, OK. After taxes. I make considerably less than that, but you have to
take the overall lower wages into account. I'm earning more or less what
I was earning in the Netherlands, 10 years ago, so my guess is that I'd
be over those 30k had I stayed there.

That was very comfortable. :)

> The only reason people want a lot more is because that's how they were
> educated and brought up. I ignored all that and just located all the
> loopholes and cheapest ways to get a home and live.
> It's worked so far the last 20 years :P

It's everybody's choice, of course, but wanting to earn a lot of money
is not a bad thing in itself. It would be a bad thing if it's a goal in
itself, at the expense of everything else.

If earning a lot of money would have been the most important to me, I
would have moved to Frankfurt to work at the European Central Bank,
instead of of staying in Amsterdam. And because I stayed in Amsterdam, I
met my wife, and moved to a country with corruption and nepotism, bad
roads, crappy public transport, low wages - and a truly glorious climate.

If you're happy with what you do, it's really the only thing that counts.

- Peter