british elections

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu May 6 20:37:49 CEST 2010

Op 6-5-2010 20:12, Gert van Santen schreef:

> Peter Korsten schreef:
>>
>> No I won't check it, because I happily registered to vote (which you
>> have to do if you live abroad) and I'm going to vote, because I don't
>> wallow in self-pity about the supposed mess that one of the richest
>> countries of the world is in.
>
> Richest? More like most expensive.
> And after 20 years of voting and being extremely disappointed
> every time, I've had it.

Ha ha, that's funny.

Fact 1: most items in Malta are more expensive than in the Netherlands.
This includes luxury goods like cars and consumer electronics, but
essential items also groceries and clothing. Energy used to be cheaper,
but apart from fuel (which is ridiculously expensive in the
Netherlands), I'd say it's on par now. Houses are somewhat cheaper, but
again, prices in the Netherlands are artificially high. Labour is a lot
cheaper.

Which brings me to...

Fact 2: wages in Malta are about half of the equivalent job in the
Netherlands. I, in a senior position and with 15 years experience, earn
about as much as a Dutch bus driver.

- Peter