I've already got one

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Mar 18 14:16:19 CET 2010

Of those: (Piccies attached. Camera is quite duff. No justice)

Made my first cup, or bowl on the lathe.
'The Grail' is the piece title on the sticker underneath.
Modest, I be, hehe.

Made entirely from found or fallen wood I've been collecting; wood which
has naturally air dried and/or spalted. I have a small pile already of
spalted beech, oak and ash (and some unidentified). Some nosey folks try
and object to me even cutting and collecting 'dead' branches off public
land, but that's another story.

Oak bowl fitted to a spalted beech base with hidden, turned joint, bowl
turned with double bullseye (annular rings across)
It looks very basic, simple, but this piece took a whole day to make,
many hours of sanding and scraping to get the surface like glass with no
tool marks, multiple oiling/waxing with steel wool etc.
It is a very tactile piece, smooth as silk.
Giant eggcup, candle holder or drinking vessel?
Unfortunately, I don't have any waterproof finishes so it can't be used
for drinking in its current state.

40th birthday present for a friend. Too Blue Peter? ;)