Eigenharp Pico - anyone??

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Mar 10 18:04:43 CET 2010

Op 10-3-2010 8:30, Andrew Tarpinian schreef:

> On Mar 9, 2010, at 3:45 PM, Peter Korsten wrote:
>
>> That may well be, but would those new interfaces allow us to make
>> better
>> music? How is 'better' defined in the first place?
>
> well I think the more we can express ourselves through an instrument
> the better the end result is. music to me is about conveying an
> emotion. the human voice is the most expressive instrument (partly
> because we all have one and can relate to it) and we are not really
> close to replicating it's dynamics in the electronic domain.

Music is more about communication, and that takes two parties. You need
to be able to express, and the other party needs to be able to
understand. So better music may not just be about being able to express
yourself better.

It's a bit like language. Men, on average, have a larger vocabulary than
women, to be able to express very clearly a certain concept. Yet, women
are in general the better communicators.

Would it be fair to say that women perhaps use the smaller vocabulary
more effectively? Would it be fair to draw a parallel with music, and
that being able to more clearly defined make a certain sound does not
necessarily make the music better? Could it be argued that more
effective usage of what we have now could lead to better music?

It's all very philosophical, but sometimes I get the feeling that these
new interfaces have become a goal, rather than a means to an end.

- Peter