Eigenharp Pico - anyone??

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Mar 10 07:41:28 CET 2010

Op 9-3-2010 22:47, Andrew Tarpinian schreef:

> imo, art is defined by it's, usefulness

Nonono. But let me define my idea of 'useful' and 'useless' first.

Suppose you break a window, and all you have is a 17th century Flemish
master to put in its place to keep out the elements. It becomes useful
then, but not the artwork itself; rather, the canvas has the use of
keeping out the wind and rain. A blank canvas would do the trick just as
well.

Art may have worth (perceived differently by everybody), and it
certainly has a purpose, but it doesn't have a use. It just is, and you
can admire it, or loathe it, but you cannot use it for anything.

That's the main distinction between arts and crafts, or art and
industrial design - at least, in my opinion. At some point, one may
become the other, for example if you have a platinum ornamental spoon,
inlaid with $50,000 worth of diamonds. But nobody in his right mind
would use it to feed the baby.

- Peter