Eigenharp Pico - anyone??

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Mar 9 14:11:37 CET 2010

Peter Korsten wrote:
> Op 9-3-2010 7:16, Andrew Tarpinian schreef:
>
>> I used to think this, but I think it might be the controllers. Maybe
>> there has not been much advancement in new ways of creating sounds
>> because we are still using an antiquated way of playing them ->
>> Keyboards. Also maybe an antiquated way of composing and listening.
>
> See, I don't believe that everything is stagnated, because we're doing
> things wrong.
>
> Just to give a totally unconnected example. At work, we're basically a
> Java programming shop. Now, a colleague of mine decided that the error
> handling mechanism provided by Java (exceptions, which can be handled,
> and errors, which basically mean the end of the program; both are
> derived from the 'throwable' class) missed the 'application error'.
>
> Even though that Java has existed for 15 years, and hundreds of
> thousands of people use it for software writing, and that nobody has
> ever come up with this idea, that's what he thought.

Peter - I take your point, but I think Java (and other languages) are incredibly
highly evolved, nearly to the point where the difference between ideal and
practice is barely visible. Java is an example of accelerated evolution, because
it's software, and millions of people use it, for hours every day, as programmers.

In synthesis, there is no limit to innovation, because synthesis is not a tool,
and instruments are not controllers. Music is not an end result: It is a
process, and a performance.

This is the fundamental difference between engineering and art, although either
done well enough, is also the other.

Tony (HB)