Hartmann Neuron

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Mar 8 18:35:12 CET 2010

> I think part of why it went out of business is because it was just a
> big pc that they were charging a lot of money for, and they didnt do a
> very good job of telling people what this thing could do.

I will one day write a book about my experiences with that crowd.

When the Neuron was released, I visited their little booth at NAMM,
and tried to play with it.  It didn't make much sense to me after
trying to make the knobs and interface do something sensible, so I
asked Axel H, as I was asking anyone at NAMM at the time with a new
product to pimp, "What are the basics of this synth, how does it work
in a nutshell?" ..

His response: "My users don't need to know how it works, they will
just play with the knobs.."

I walked away.  Regardless of the fact it was a Linux system inside,
and I was at the time very eager to put Linux to use in a synthesis
context, this response was, to me, a big warning flag.  Later, at the
infamous drinking parties of the German synth elite, there was much to
be said about how stupid people are to pay so much for synthesizers
that are, basically, fancy PC's in a box.

;
--
Jay Vaughan