video lights

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jun 28 17:44:52 CEST 2010

Kai,

Quoting K9 Kai Niggemann <canine at waf80.de>:
>> I've yet to see any LED or "power saving" lamp where I like the color
>> enough to use them in video, but you might find something good enough
>> in the higher budget range.

> Well they come in 5400 K, but I read that they leave out some of the
>  red tones -- something that doesn't exactly make food look more
> appealing..;-)

Nope. The trouble with all these modern light sources is that they
generate narrow peaks instead of a frequency continuum. I've always
found the result lacking.

> I have some lights (warm, but great color) that I will try for my
> first gig on wednesday and see where it goes from there.

Good idea. I think it's a good idea to follow methodology similar to
photography: Take a neutral gray card to adjust white balancing
properly on set (turn off the automatic options, they mess up post
processing). And be prepared to spend some time with post processing
to get the most out of the result.

Martin