Big Green Egg...

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jun 2 15:46:37 CEST 2010

So, after years of wanting one of these, I bought myself one as a reward for
getting through my prelims this past semester.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs_L.html

The basic tipping point was that I needed a new grill and this was going to
set me back as much as the Weber I wanted.  All I can say is that if you do
serious cooking on the grill, these are worth every penny.  I want to hug
mine every time I walk past it.  It's a stone oven, that also grills, and
smokes.  Last night I made a Capetown styled leg of lamb, a batch of naan
(Indian flatbread), and an apple tarte tatin for desert.  This mean precise
temp control and having to move the charcoal from 325F for a couple of
hours, up to over 600F for the bread, and then back to 425F for the tarte.
I've cooked every dinner on it since I got.  I even made cookies on it one
night just to prove to my doubting neighbors that it could do it.  The
breads and pizzas have been fantastic.  So, if you want to take your
grilling to the next frontier or want an affordable stone oven, this is it!

I wonder what I should do tonight, I'm thinking a paella done down on the
coals might be pretty amazing.

James R. Coplin