Ubuntu studio audio problem

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jan 27 15:30:08 CET 2010

Except one thing.  How do you handle routing, filtering, remapping, etc?  I
have 4 MOTU midi interfaces running and I actually do like these.  I suppose
you could handle it to some degree in the DAW but then you have to loop in
and out of the DAW adding lag and latency.

James R. Coplin

-----Original Message-----
From: music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org
[mailto:music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org] On Behalf Of The Dong
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:11 AM
To: Music-bar
Subject: Re: Ubuntu studio audio problem

Jay Vaughan wrote:
> Yeah, exactly.  I have about 7 MIDI interfaces in the room, all of
> them replaced with the ease of using these cables, which Linux seems
> to recognize and use quite well .. where once it was a nearly-$1000
> MIDI 19" rack doing all the deeds, now its a $20 USB hub and $100
> worth of cables .. and everything just works, is tight, and so on ..

If one could be bothered, one could buy one or two good quality USB hubs
and 4 or 8 (or however many) USB midi cables, strip out all the insides
of their 19" Rack midi rack units (goodbye MOTU), maybe leave or make a
5V supply into it if the hubs need it, then dump the hubs and cables in
instead, so it still looks like the old interface but isn't, innit?

Only if these cheapo things don't choke or splutter tho...
It would still be quite costly as well.