Ubuntu studio audio problem

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jan 26 21:24:55 CET 2010

Jay Vaughan wrote:
> You *must* build your own kernel, Dong.  And learn how to install it
> for your distro so you can boot from it.  And modules.

Any good links to compiling yon own slimline rt colonel? ;)

> Because a tightly-wound kernel for the hardware you have in front of
> you, and not the thousands of other variations on beigbebox rubbish,
> definitely makes a difference.

Yes, well, I have ultimate experience in removing the guff from windows
boxes.

> My current latency is 3.1ms, fully working all audio channels in my
> 19" rack.

Lower values are better (this is always written beside the graph)

> Its not difficult to hang a PC, you know.  :)

If it gets too hot, but not too cold
Or the bugs pop out, it stops to fold.

> Try the bootable USB-distro approach for a while, give the Audio-
> specific brands a chance to impress you with how much like a
> Playstation/games-console your new-generation DAW machine can be ..

You've no idea how many linux distros I've tried the past few weeks.
Ubuntu Studio
64 Studio
Dynebolic
Fedora (this had promise, but alas)
Demudi
Knoppix
Suse
BeOS ~(yes BeOS. A shame it wouldn't boot, as it supports RME and Motu)

All had problems for me, the most promising one was Fedora, but the Disk
partitioning software pre installation was not able to even identify my
hard disk. All the rest could.
I like Mint the most for some inane reason. Maybe it's because
everything works with only a little farting around.

> MOTU support in linux really, really, really pisses me off, to be
> honest, I'll agree with you there.  Fortunately though, it costs $12
> to fix MIDI for *good* in Linux: class-compatible drivers all the way
> in the form of a USB->MIDI adapter, buy 'em in bulk.  The days of a
> 19" rack for MIDI are *over*, my friend...

But I like my crusty old 19 incher! :)

I need at least 5 midi IO, so having 5 separate USB dingle dongle things
is not totally practical, sure there's USB hubs, but you know that's
getting a bit spider wirey...

MOTU are a good example of how crap secrecy is. Shouldn't support mean,
support? If someone asks you for the info to help open up your product
to new markets, shouldn't you at least be interested? Obviously MOTU is
just a hoardy, hoarder of a company. Not greedy. Just they don't want
others to know that they actually stole their designs and code from 3rd
parties and open sources (OK, so I made that last bit up, but you know
what they say about those with secrets, huh?)

;)