Oh, bugger! SSD DRIVES!

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jan 3 21:07:30 CET 2010

>  The main advantage for me would be the lack of
> physical moving parts that could get damaged in transport.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if all you can afford is a
60gig SSD drive, and you force yourself to use it, then:

a) backups to other older slower drives are quicker,
b) 60gigs is not too much to lose.

If you put everything into a 320gig Disk, then when that disk dies (if
it dies) you will lose 320gigs, but if you force yourself to use a
small, fast disk for your most productive machine, and then back it up
frequently to larger, slower, cheaper drives, you'll be doing yourself
a huge favour.  Not everyone really needs to cart along 100's of gigs
of stuff - really - unless they're really, really producing content.
If you're just consuming content and want to be able to still have a
screaming fast system, then pare things down on your machine, get a
60gig SSD disk, and only copy what you need to use, actively, in
production - resorting to older/slower disks when necessary to do a
bit of housekeeping/backups.

>  My netbook
> is taken back and forth between here and my office every day, and gets
> a lot of use on the train.  In the case of my netbook, it doesnt
> contain any 'critical' data.  In the case of my MPC, however, it would
> really not be good to show up at a gig with a dead HD...

I have a 32gig SSD in my netbook, its so easy to copy stuff over to
it, its fast, its efficient, and I just do the housekeeping between it
and the terabyte drive stashed safely at home..

> But I agree, they are still to expensive to justify for my uses.  The
> MPC has a 2gb card slot on the front, and if I only need to load once
> at the gig thats fine for use.

I bet its not slow to load a full 2gigs into that MPC, eh?

;
--
Jay Vaughan