Oh, bugger! SSD DRIVES!

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jan 3 21:04:08 CET 2010

> Is it really worth £350 just to wait a few minutes less per day? It
> might be more efficient just to go to the toilet less or cut out a
> coffee, tea or cigarette break in the day!

Its not just a few less minutes waiting per day, it will add up to
hours less waiting, fast, and not only that but with the performance
of these drives, you will simply get much, much better processing
capabilities for your jobs - audio processing/graphics operation - if
you configure the system correctly.

You can do as well with getting a maximum-RAM upgrade and pushing some
of it into use as a RAM disk for temp operations in Photoshop/
compiling/etc.  On my 16gb-RAM/320gig-SSD build-system at work, things
are so fast and streamlined that routine operations that once took
hours now take seconds.  It blisters my cells to think how much a
'modern' PC is being hamstrung by the speeds of its disks.

;
--
Jay Vaughan