Open Solaris

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Feb 22 07:55:26 CET 2010

> It seems odd to me to stick to Linux, when there's so many people
> using
> it, and as a consequence, you get a lot of people who don't really
> know
> what they're doing. More information is not necessarily better
> information.

There are more Linux experts on music-bar than Solaris users.

> There's a substantial (Open)Solaris community, and as a rule, they're
> very knowledgeable.

There are plenty of places to go to find knowledgeable and helpful
Linux users.

> FreeBSD, Solaris and Linux would probably do the job equally well, but
> the former two have just a single distribution, and they're aimed at
> doing server-y kind of things, in contrast to Linux which tries to be
> everything for everyone.

Not actually true - Linux *can* be a lot of things.  It can be a
fantastic disk server.  It can be an amazing Internet services host.
It can be a games machine.  It can be a DAW.  This is flexibility
beyond what OpenSolaris can attain, but it doesn't mean anything about
Linux' ability to serve for you.  For sure, Linux is better for a lot
of jobs than OpenSolaris, if you know what you're doing.  The days of
OpenSolaris are numbered, also.  It belongs to one of the biggest
douchebags in computing history, whereas Linux .. well .. doesn't.

;
--
Jay Vaughan