Open Solaris

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Feb 22 07:38:40 CET 2010

Op 21-2-2010 22:40, Jonny Stutters schreef:

> On 21 February 2010 21:23, Mikael Hansson<forums at deadmengods.com>  wrote:
>>
>> First, is Open Solaris a good choice or would you use anything else?
>
> Seems odd to choose Open Solaris when there's so much more information
> and community support around for this sort of task on any of the
> popular Linux distributions.  I have no doubt that what you want to do
> is perfectly possible in Open Solaris but it's not what I'd go for
> apart from for the learning experience of trying a new OS.

It seems odd to me to stick to Linux, when there's so many people using
it, and as a consequence, you get a lot of people who don't really know
what they're doing. More information is not necessarily better information.

There's a substantial (Open)Solaris community, and as a rule, they're
very knowledgeable.

FreeBSD, Solaris and Linux would probably do the job equally well, but
the former two have just a single distribution, and they're aimed at
doing server-y kind of things, in contrast to Linux which tries to be
everything for everyone.

- Peter