Open Solaris

Mikael Hansson EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Feb 21 23:02:26 CET 2010

Peter Korsten skrev:
> Just make sure that the computer isn't too old. On the other hand, I
> have Solaris 10 (more or less the same thing, but not open source)
> running on a 10 year old 550 MHz Sun Ultrasparc IIa (or something like
> that) with 1 GB of memory. Not very fast, but otherwise, works like a charm.

It's a P4 3.06 GHz with 2GB RAM, from around 2003 I think...

>> I'm going to buy some large disks and put in it to store files
>> (audio/video/apps...) that are to be accessible from my network and also
>> through a remote connection. Other services might be considered later.
>>

> Consider getting a dedicated RAID box like those of QNAP. They run
> Linux, use far less electricity than any old computer, and you can do a
> lot of other things with it as well.

Including (secure) remote access through internet?

>> I'm a bit unclear about the capabilities of ZFS, but would it render the
>> need for RAID (redundancy) unnecessary?
>>

> I don't know ZFS at all, but no software will save you from catastrophic
> hardware failure.

No, I was more thinking about if ZFS would do some software RAID across
the connected disks but it would probably be better to get a
RAID-controller to attach the discs I guess.

>> Anyone (Peter :) ) have a short direction of which steps are needed, to
>> achieve such a configuration?
>>

> It really depends on your hardware support. I tried re-installing
> Solaris 10 on the Sun box I got last year, but it wouldn't read the
> first CD and I kinda haven't looked at it since. Installing it is a
> breeze, though, even on a virtual machine.
>
> Still, if you want a no-brainer, consider FreeNAS.

Solaris installed in VMware now, checking it out.

/Micke