Open Solaris

Mikael Hansson EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Feb 21 22:23:59 CET 2010

Hi -bar!

I'm thinking about setting up an old computer as a server and I'm
thinking about Open Solaris as OS.

I'm going to buy some large disks and put in it to store files
(audio/video/apps...) that are to be accessible from my network and also
through a remote connection. Other services might be considered later.

First, is Open Solaris a good choice or would you use anything else?

I'm a bit unclear about the capabilities of ZFS, but would it render the
need for RAID (redundancy) unnecessary?

Anyone (Peter :) ) have a short direction of which steps are needed, to
achieve such a configuration?

/Micke

ps. upgraded my internet connection last week, it's really nice
downloading the entire solaris iso in 1,5 min :)