Anyone here familiar with AIX?

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Feb 6 09:54:45 CET 2010

> what anythin IBM makes does to your IT buget..).   I don't expect it
> to be much, but I just want to know if we are going to want to seek
> additional staff, as we are at the tipping point on that anyway.

treat it as just another unix machine in your lab, and learn a few
extra commands .. btw, you'll be getting the AIX box from the
frankfurt office, no doubt, so don't they have an operations-procedure
document describing the bare-minimum company ops for the system,
itself?   my experience with AIX has been to target it as part of a
build system, i haven't done much admin on it as an ops guy, but from
what i have seen, and been told, is that its just a weird unix system,
and IBM will have every answer you could possibly need in this
regard.  all AIX systems come with access for the admin to the ..
frankly superlative .. IBM documentation.

more than likely you won't have to do much, but you should find out
from the other AIX folks in your company what they expect the basics
would be.  treat it like you would treat a weird linux box.

> We asked if we could run the Oracle DB on x86, but they have a number
> of AIX dependent services that have been customized.

there are good reasons to run AIX, apparently, but i've only ever
heard that from financial people who love spending money.

>  They won't
> support porting that to anything that will run on x86.  The irony is
> we asked for this system to replace an old system running on an ibm I
> series (OS400) that everyone just hates (would have been awesome in
> 1982...).

x86 versus PPC in some codebases tends to be tedious.

i quite like the looks of the AIX hardware, though, myself .. they are
solid little servers.

> I considered if this would be OT for the bar,  but I don't think there
> is any such thing.

> Well, back to trying to find coffee in the Frankfurt airport.

hey, take the weekend off and take a short flight from frankfurt to
vienna!  you can bunk at our place!

;
--
Jay Vaughan