Anyone here familiar with AIX?

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Feb 6 09:45:40 CET 2010

So we are getting a new data system at work, and as it ends up there
is a (rather stupid) records law that applies only to insurance
companies which requres we have all original records, which includes
electronic ones, stored within the state.  This means the new system
we get has to be in my server room, and not the main one in Frankfurt.
To make a long boring story short, this means that I will have to now
administrate one (probably two for redundancy) IBM p series PPC based
systems running AIX.  There are only two of us in the office, so I am
concerned how much work it is to take care of these beasts (along with
what anythin IBM makes does to your IT buget..).   I don't expect it
to be much, but I just want to know if we are going to want to seek
additional staff, as we are at the tipping point on that anyway.

We asked if we could run the Oracle DB on x86, but they have a number
of AIX dependent services that have been customized.  They won't
support porting that to anything that will run on x86.  The irony is
we asked for this system to replace an old system running on an ibm I
series (OS400) that everyone just hates (would have been awesome in
1982...).

I considered if this would be OT for the bar,  but I don't think there
is any such thing.

Well, back to trying to find coffee in the Frankfurt airport.

Tony